lichess.org
Donate

Any advise on how to improve?

Hi all.
I've been playing chess for almost a year now and would really like to get better at the game, but lately I'm starting to feel like I've capped out. I've been going a couple of books and looking up strategy guides on YouTube, but it seems as if I'm not improving.
Do you guys have any advise?
Do tactics, it helps.
But, to improve, you need first to find your weakness and work on this.

Have a chess teacher or analyse your games with a stronger player can help you.

For exemple, I play well the oppening but after, I can't always find a good plan and play dynamic. So, I'm trying to improve this point actually.
do puzzles over and over, save games where you made a tactical mistake and go over that aswell
@Onlysleeping I wish I could hire a teacher but I'm mostly doing this as a hobby; that cash would probably be better off spent elsewhere. You're right about getting somebody to coach me though. Hopefully I'll come across someone willing to guide me.

@todo_pro What sites would you recommend to pick up some tactics experience? I've tried lichess' training puzzles in the past, but I seem to end up frustrated and annoyed instead of enlightened. :P

@Tangelo77 The opening and end-game trainers should help me tons. Those are the segments of a game I seem to struggle the most with. Thank you for all the links!

@Manglecopter Sadly I've seen too many variations of the same "Sac Queen to rook then check with knight" sequence to want to try puzzles again. :/

Thank you guys for your advice (Spelled it properly this time!). I really appreciate it.

There's just one more thing I'd like to know.
What do you guys do on a daily basis to improve yourselves or maintain your current playing level? Besides playing the game that is. :P
Here's one way for some major improvement if you're willing to put in the effort.

- Find a well played game. I'd recommend classical games (dating from around Morphy to Lasker) to avoid extensive opening preparation, although now a days Carlsen games would also be appropriate.

- Skip the opening phase of the game. Now pick one side and analyze a position as deeply as you can without looking or knowing what the player ended up playing. WRITE DOWN YOUR ANALYSIS. This part is critical. It's easy to handwave analysis in your head and that completely destroys any value gained from this exercise. Finally decide on what you think is the best move and then see what the player played and also compare your analysis to any published analysis.

You'll be surprised how many times not only do you miss the move, but you actually don't even come up with the move that was ultimately played as a candidate move! One reason tactics training is great is not only for calculation, but also creativity. This exercise, maybe even more than tactics, can really help you see your own blindness.

This is a large amount of work and expect to spend at least a couple of hours on a single game, but if you can get through it you'll see huge rewards from it.
I don't think chesstempo.com is free to use. At least it wasn't when I tried it. That's why I didn't include it in my list. For the same reason I didn't include chess.com.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.